Friday 20 April 2012

The Raid: Redemption review


So finally, an Indonesian Film recognised by the world and distributed by Hollywood (Sony Pictures Classic to be exact). An action film too! And it came from the team that released “Merantau” in 2009 which was excellent. Without doubt, I was excited to see this.
However (maybe due to several factors) I didn’t enjoy this film as much as I am supposed to. I mean, it has everything that I could possibly ask for, so why didn’t I enjoy it?
Anyway, the film follows the story of an elite police force who conducts a raid on a building in the slums of Jakarta. The building plays host to crime lord, Tama, his henchmen, and a bunch of thugs.
Long story short, the raid doesn’t go as planned and the squad gets killed off one by one leaving only few survivors who must find a way to escape from the building. But how? Why..by kicking, punching, and do some great martial art (silat) moves of course!
Overall, this is a great action film which I should like in theory but not in reality. Maybe me comparing it to super excellent uber cool “Drive” is the problem? Yeah, I guess it’s just an expectation issue.
One question though, what's the word "Redemption" doing there?
3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment